I was invited to take part in the Sheffield leg of a series of events run by Creative Times called The Beauty of Digital.
I spoke briefly about digital not being a thing, and it being a tool. I made a bunch of slides that looked like this:
It was an enjoyable session with a pretty inquisitive audience. The rest of the speakers were James Wallbank (Access Space), Bea Marshall (Moogaloo) and James Boardwell (Folksy).
1. X1172 by Max Capacity, via New Aesthetic
3. Chromaroma by Mudlark
4. Derby  by Mudlark
5. Birmingham Civic Dashboard by Mudlark
8. One Minute Internet, Part 2: Fukushima (March 12, 2011) by Marcus Brown
10 & 11. MemCode, Issue 2 by Mudlark
14. Ugle by Voy
15. SXAESTHETIC by James Bridle
16. Foo Fighters, Live From Reading ’95 by The Uprising Collective
17. You Don’t Compare Wolf, via New Aesthetic
18. Parasol via Circumambient (oft NSFW)
Some brief ambling today led me to Hitchcock’s definition of a MacGuffin.
It might be a Scottish name, taken from a story about two men in a train. One man says “What’s that package up there in the baggage rack?“, and the other answers “Oh, that’s a McGuffin“. The first one asks “What’s a McGuffin?“. “Well“, the other man says, “It’s an apparatus for trapping lions in the Scottish Highlands“. The first man says “But there are no lions in the Scottish Highlands“, and the other one answers “Well, then that’s no McGuffin!“. So you see, a McGuffin is nothing at all.